Advertisement

Sooooo... how was it this year?

topic posted Wed, September 5, 2012 - 9:15 AM by  Rob the acco...
Share/Save/Bookmark
What's the scoop?

Was the dust as bad as they said it was going to be?

Were there more spectators than participants?

What was the best large scale art?

Any cool new art cars?

Police presence... up? down? aggressive? laid back? the same?

How was exodus?

Dish the dust!
posted by:
Rob the accordionMan
New York City
Advertisement
  • Re: Sooooo... how was it this year?

Wed, September 5, 2012 - 10:58 AM
    It totally sucked. The temp never went above 95, the dust was all blown away before we got there. it only "rained" for maybe 20 minutes. The nights were too cold, and they had all this damn "art" cluttering up the open playa.

The lawsuit totally screwed with the BLM, they had a photo op on saturday, even played with glow toys at the burn and gave out hugs (no kiddin).

I rolled in Monday around noon. It took more time to park and hit Will Call than it did to drive in and get to camp. We left Monday Morning, and were on the highway in under 20 minutes.

Almost all the art cars were more art than car

Raver fishing on the esplanade was excellent

Police were almost non-existant.

Worst..... burn....ever....
    ;oP

Sat, September 8, 2012 - 9:29 PM
    Agreed. It certainly wasn't dustpocolypse either. The rain and lightning were a bonus. Exodus was a breeze (although I left Tuesday, I was told Monday wasn't too bad either). Entry at mid afternoon was shockingly short, even with will call.

Two thumbs up :-)

Tue, September 11, 2012 - 6:41 AM
    lots of virgins, both as camp mates and camp guests that stopped by.

met many great people while delivering the black rock beacon.

police? didn't notice them. just as years past.

exodus was a breeze...we left at 10am friday morning, before the vibe of BM changed.

this was supposed to be my "last year" but 6 burns sounds better than 5.

i sold the bus i used this year to a fellow burner, so the hunt for a new rig is on!

Tue, September 11, 2012 - 12:41 PM
      Whatever I contracted at TTITD still itches.

None of those stupid creams and medicated goo is getting rid of it.

I hope that it doesn't just fall off before next year. I still have use for it.

No pee funnel for me, thank you.

It was so much better, next year.

Tue, September 11, 2012 - 12:59 PM

OK... I'm game... whoops wrong word.

If "I'm game" someone take a pot shot at me.

What the hell is a TTITD?

And speaking of itching...

When I was 20 I had moved out of my parents apartment and found my own place about 40 miles away. When I developed a rash on my privates, I had to find a Doctor close by.

Went to a medical building... looked into the first waiting room... too many people.
        Went to the next door... too many people.

Kept looking for a waiting room that wasn't packed.

Finally found one and sat down.

About 15 minutes later, the Doctor comes in and says to me in front of everyone (now there are a lot more people int he waiting room)... "so young man, what seems to be the problem?"

I look around and everyone is looking at me.

I said "Doctor... could we talk about this in private?"

He looked at me strangely and took me into a hall and said 'OK what's up?"

I told him about my rash.

He said "Oh... I'm an ophthalmologist... you should see Dr. Sincero, down the hall"

Tue, September 11, 2012 - 1:03 PM
        And you even had TWO articles at the Black Rock Beacon, Zaius, that I remember.

It WAS dusty, but still it was a great time.

And I saw Frogbat swoop down and nail three hippies in one pass. Epic.

Regarding fishing for ravers on the Esplanade, Tedward, I actually was filmed by AETV fishing for hippies out at 5:30 for a new series they'll be running.

"World's Filthiest Catch"

Take that, National Geographic Channel.

Tue, September 11, 2012 - 2:45 PM
          Y'all slay me! I'm smiling so hard, ear to ear, that I have to pass on the jealousy. Welcome home, Hippies!
          KK

Thu, September 13, 2012 - 9:36 AM
            TTITD = That "thing" in the desert.

Fri, September 14, 2012 - 4:32 PM
              It was absolutely incredible. Best burn ever. Felt super spacious, never cramped. Everything seemed set up by Monday, apparently the Burn is two weeks now with all the early entries...

Many of them left early too, so I think thats why Exodus was such a breeze. The newbies I met were all awesome, super prepared, great attitudes. Didn't really seem like anyone who was there didn't want to be there, like some of the jaded burners I've ran into in years past.

Art was great, theme camps were kickass. Fewer sound camps, which was soooooooooooooo good. Thank God Nexus and Deep End and a few others didn't make it. Never felt like the sound camps were competing, and there was a ton of live music. And you could actually hear it!

The mutant vehicles weren't doing the sound assault thing as much, and you could actually get on them! Never had a problem getting a ride.

Playa condition was decent, not bad at all out in the open, some city streets were a bit powdery, but what the hell, its burning man! Weather was fantastic other than a couple dusty days on Thursday and Friday, but once again, burning man!

No fire stage though, which was kind of a bummer. The temple was incredible, the inside of the man base was cool, but the outside left a little to be desired. The art was at times underwhelming by day, but by night it got super trippy cool.

All in all, couldn't ask for much more in a Burn...

Fri, September 14, 2012 - 7:28 PM
                "The newbies I met were all awesome, super prepared, great attitudes. Didn't really seem like anyone who was there didn't want to be there, like some of the jaded burners I've ran into in years past."

I noticed that too. The noobs we had were super-prepped, and had a great sense of humor.

Anybody noticed that the porta-johns were kept up a little better this year?

Mon, September 17, 2012 - 10:37 AM
                  we arrived tues 6am, no wait
                  left monday 4am, took 3 hours to hit pavement. Tedward when did you leave?
                  The dust was a bit more, but only a couple of times did it keep us at camp. The small rain storm and thunder was kind of cool in the middle of the nite.
                  Biking at nite on the playa was hard, couldn't see the soft spots, but ok during the day. The roads got really wash board by the end of the week, but thats normal.
                  Heard some fabulous live music from our camp (6:30 & D) not sure who or where they were but it sounded good. And it seemed like the big music camps were less intrusive, but I read somewhere a couple of them didn't come this year.
                  Best large scale art imho the temple, star seed and a carved head into the base of a tree out on 2 oclock.
                  There was this car that balanced between two large wheels, kind of looked like a ferris wheel car rolling around.
                  Perish police seemed to be everywhere with 4 to a car, but didn't see any arrests, and they always smiled and waved back. We did see one k-9 unit over at the 3 oclock portal just standing outside his vehicle watching.
                  Seemed like there was way more art out on the playa.
                  The porta potties were good.
                  I was torn between carry a watch to arrive to an event on time, or not and then I missed things I wanted to do like go bellydancing...damn it!
                  Sunday is always a sad day for me when everyone is starting to pack.
                  The temple burn was horribly interrupted by yelling and probably a scuffle over music. Not sure why they couldn't have just asked the guy to turn the music off quietly instead of yelling so loud you could hear it in Center Camp.
                  AND gesh am I having a hard time adjusting to my life.......

Tue, September 18, 2012 - 6:46 AM
                  Potties were way better this year. I think they were cleaned twice a day instead of once. Virgin level seemed about normal. I left monday afternoon and there was not one stitch of traffic. We rolled straight out to the highway at between 5 to 10 mph the whole way. This after I went on a long tangent about how I'd rather hangout another day than wait in line for 4 or more hours. I couldn't believe it.
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Re: Sooooo... how was it this year?

Tue, September 18, 2012 - 9:25 AM
                    "AND gesh am I having a hard time adjusting to my life....... "

I always felt that way coming back... default world is such a harsh reality after all the fun and games at BM.

Although I didn't go this year (first time in 13 years) I felt down after the event was over.

Wasn't sure it if was that I was lamenting not going or that a new year was beginning.

Sat, September 22, 2012 - 11:24 AM
    Hello...been awhile since i been here...the event was AWESOME! Just another remind not to believe the various doomsday predicitons that build up like a dust storm before the event. Weather was great, playa conditions were pretty good, people were AWESOME everywhere I went, way more art on the playa than i've seen in my 10 years going, way more interactivity everywere...no traffic in or out...really, the only thing that could have made my burn better would have been getting there earlier and staying longer.

Tue, September 25, 2012 - 12:37 PM

Not having gone this year, I decided last night to play a song set composed of tunes that I've played at Burning Man over the years that have powerful memories attached to them.

Play that Funky Music White Boy: A woman came up to me and said.. "My Mom plays the accordion but I never heard it sound like that... you made my burn! ( She made my burn saying that!)

Woolly Bully: I saw this guy with a music case..."Trumpet in that case? Yea he said to me. Then he saw my backpack... "Accordion.. right?" I was flabbergasted! I asked him how he could tell it was accordion... "I heard you play Woolly Bully last year and it made my burn!" 2 years ago, he made my burn!

Wipe Out: The night of the burn I was hanging out with everyone waiting for the festivities to begin, I heard a drummer in the distance, but didn't know if he heard me so I played Wipe Out. When it came to the drum solo... I hit the first chord and the drummer KICKED IN!!!! People around went nuts!

Light My Fire... It was the night of the burn and I was playing this, when a guy joking around said to his pal " I hope he plays the long version" They started laughing, then I played the long version and they over the top!

Mamma's got a Squeeze Box. I tell a guy that the accordion is a chick magnet... as he is poo-pooing my comment, a beautiful blonde rides up on a bike a yells at the top of her lungs 'I've been looking for you all over the playa!!!!"

Mister Sandman. I played that song around 11 in the morning one day. My neighbor, that evening, said how nice it was to wake up to that song. Amazing that he was able to sleep until 11 in the morning!

The Devil Goes Down To Georgia... the Playa Book of world records taped me playing that song as fast as my fingers could take me.... got a nice patch from them as a gift.

Dueling Banjos... you haven't heard that song until you've heard it played with a Tuba and an accordion.

An untitled piece that I played at Center Camp with my son doing percussion.

Bottom line, although we are not on the playa, it doesn't mean that we can't revisit.

Tue, September 25, 2012 - 2:35 PM
        what great stories! I had hoped to hear an accordion this year but hopefully next year

Wed, September 26, 2012 - 1:25 PM
          I'm waiting for next year. Somebody may try a duet with Rob on the accordion, and his duet partner on a harmonica playing 'Flight of the Bumblebee'.

Rob could play it so well that the poor harmonica player would hyperventilate.

Fri, September 28, 2012 - 8:09 AM
            Hey Rhino!

When are you going to post that video of us on the playa with you singing the song you wrote and me doing backup?

On the day of the burn this year I wore (in NY) that T-shirt you gave me... "Black Rock Geological Association... We ROCK your world"!

Thanks again big guy!

Mon, October 1, 2012 - 12:42 PM
        You know, it JUST occurred to me that it was probably you that I recall standing amidst the seated crowd awaiting the Temple Burn around 2004 or so... playing Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd on the accordion.

If so, you should know three things:

A. I LOATHE accordions, with two slight exceptions. Parisian cafe kinda stuff, and the occasional Irish concertina.

B. Growing up in the Midwest, I'd heard the Sabbath & Floyd top ten (along with Zep and all the other '70's arena rock fare) hundreds of times on our pitiful excuse for a radio station by the time I exited puberty. I thought I'd die happy if I never had to hear ANY of that stuff again.

C. That moment on the playa... peaceful, sweet, absurd, brilliant... is one of my very favorite playa memories.

"Wait... is that.... no way. Couldn't... omg... it IS !!" <laughter> Huge smiles all around.

Thank you!

PS: Wipeout? Seriously? Do you do some approximation of the neck slide? Where's my mp3 link? :)

Mon, October 1, 2012 - 4:49 PM

Sorry to disappoint you, but it wasn't me playing my accordion.. perhaps it was Duckman ( I think that is his name )

One year when the playa was closed due to a rain storm before it officially opened, I was sitting on the Burning Man porch in Gerlach playing my accordion. This guy drives up in a VW mini van and grabs an accordion out the back and THROWS it AT me!!!!

I caught it ( other than colds, I really can't catch anything ) and when I looked at it I realized that it was a Frankensteinesque accordion.

It was impossible to play because when it was put together the keyboard ( or the buttons ) were attached to the bellows the opposite way!

One year I met several accordion players at center camp.... we are a hardy bunch. Kinda like weeds.

And yea I do Wipe Out.... sometimes I play the bass like the drum solo.

Mon, October 1, 2012 - 6:56 PM
            It would be SO wrong for you to play "Freebird". Yet, that's why it would be so RIGHT.

=

Fri, October 5, 2012 - 12:14 PM

The chances of me playing Freebird on my accordion are the same as me playing Communications Breakdown by Led Zep on my squeeze box.

Zero.
              Zip.
              None.

Like lemmings jumping off a cliff, I would cause stampedes as people tried to get away from the calliope of sound.

Before learning to play the accordion, you must take part in a (secret) ceremony that instructs all would be accordionists, like doctors, to do no harm.

Thu, October 11, 2012 - 3:22 PM
                "Before learning to play the accordion, you must take part in a (secret) ceremony that instructs all would be accordionists, like doctors, to do no harm. "

But Rob, they've read the back of their ticket. They KNOW what it might entail.......

Thu, October 18, 2012 - 10:55 AM

Sooooo folks.... what made your Burn this year?

Was it a interaction with someone?

Was it a piece of art?

Was it dancing to a DJ?

Not having gone this past year, I don't have a handle on the buzz.... help me out here.

What was it that made this year stand out?

In years past, beside the interactions with fellow Burners, the sculpture Bliss made my burn that year. Some years it was the Temple by Best (who always does an incredible job).
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Thu, October 18, 2012 - 11:22 AM
                    Best's Temple was awesome.

My defining moment:

Singing 'Smuggler's Blues' and dedicating it to the Pershing County Sheriff's Department.

I didn't have to pay the 'stupid tax', either.

Fri, October 19, 2012 - 2:07 PM
                      "Singing 'Smuggler's Blues' and dedicating it to the Pershing County Sheriff's Department. "

Oooooooooo you REBEL!

Fri, October 19, 2012 - 6:38 PM
                        Lemme tell you something. Not only are vehicles dust magnets, but dust on vehicles ios a magnet for LEOs when you leave the event.

It was 2010. I got pulled over by a Nebraska State Trooper on the way home. He had seen the dust, and knew I had been. And his eyes saw the pill container on my front seat. He had to have me explain each and every prescription and vitamin in the container. When I was nearly done, he pointed at the last little pile of large purple pills.....

"What are those horse tranquilizer - looking things?"

Busted. He was expecting the worst.

I turned over the pill, not recognizing it at first, and then I saw the maker's mark - CENTRUM. A multivitamin.

The LEO felt foolish, told me to slow down, and left me to snicker quietly at his obvious lack of decorum.

Ever since....if they don't trust me or at least treat me like a human being from the beginning, I'll be damned if I'll give them the same courtesy.

As far as being 'rebellious' goes.......

***points at Sons of Anarchy logo on leather jacket****

Is that redwood original rebellious enough for ya?
                        • EJ
                          EJ
                          offline 14

Sat, October 20, 2012 - 3:19 PM
                          The dust on your car was partially the same composition as kitty litter? I'm almost certain that I read it somewhere...

Sun, October 21, 2012 - 12:11 AM
                            You did, EJ. I wrote that article for the Black Rock Beacon this year, which has already been referenced on eplaya.Seems I created a little dusty stir......
                            • EJ
                              EJ
                              offline 14

Sun, October 21, 2012 - 1:26 PM
                              Yeah, Rhino, i knew it was you. Was going to try to track you down and say hello, but i really didn't know where to start. Thanks for your service, both there and here!

Wed, October 31, 2012 - 12:36 PM
                                Well I had a little of Burning Man at my home these past few days.

I live outside of Manhattan and we got slammed by Hurricane Sandy. No electric for 3 days ( electric came on about 2 hours ago ).

It started by us listening to the 70 mph winds howling.
                                We knew the power would go at anytime since our lights kept flickering.

In preparation we're were carrying around my BM headlamps. When the power went out we lit a fire in the fireplace, opened a bottle of wine and sat there listening to the sound of a generator next door. Yea, Burning Man!

Recent topics in "Burning Man"