agents to the event and looking for Penske trucks. If they
find any, they'll be towed.

This sucks.
posted by:
Andy
Advertisement
  • Re: Penske renter ban!

Sun, August 1, 2004 - 10:08 PM
    Wouldn't BMorg be able to stop them from bringing tow trucks into Black Rock City? I don't think they can disrupt a private event over a rental property dispute. Maybe they can take back their property anytime and anywhere. If this policy is true then perhaps a widely publicized boycott is in order.

H

Sun, July 30, 2006 - 4:34 PM
      Burningman is a private event. I *suspect* that ANY tow trucks wanting to go through the gate will 1) have to pay full price but that's a moot point. So far as I know there'll only be one operating tow truck on the playa. It will be operated by Junkyard. Junkyard is not inclined to provide help or assisatnce to anyone seeking to re-po a rental truck just because someone from Penske would ask. Whatever posts the Penske people are putting out to their area manages is only so much barking at the fence.

I'm taking side bets that not one Penske truck will get towed. Not one.

Any takers?

Sun, August 1, 2004 - 10:58 PM
    which edition of JRS would that be?!? I don't trust online rumors like this...

Sun, August 1, 2004 - 11:08 PM
      It's in the one that came out yesterday. Here is the item in full:

"Possible rumor, but the story is true enough in style. A great way to help the community is to return your rental vehicles and equipment shockingly spotless.

Hello,

I am hoping the Penske folks are contacting you guys directly so the details of their ban don't get misstated, but here's what my longtime driver and I were told in a phone call this morning from our local Penske franchisee:

Direct from the president of the company, no Penske trucks are to be rented to anyone going to Burning Man. Too many trucks have been returned painted, damaged and otherwise irresponsibly handled, and the company will not take the chance any longer. No trucks anywhere in the country can be rented to Burning Man participants.

In addition, Penske will be sending representatives to the event, and if any Penske trucks are found, they will be taking them immediately off the playa. So don't think about lying about when you make a reservation, in other words.

THE lessons from this, though, at least for me, are that good relations with purveyors pays off and supporting local businesses is paramount. The local franchisee who called us with this information also said he knew of another local company that owns their own fleet of trucks, and given our good history with him, he will try to hook us up. Buy local, build relationships, be responsible. This turn of events couldn't any more clearly illustrate the importance of those three planks of community-building.

Thanks,

Peace and Joy,

Sioen Roux, the Stoned Buddha"

Sun, August 1, 2004 - 11:21 PM
        well.... all I know is that from my own Personal experience, The General Manager from Penske called me directly after I emailed their company to inquire WHY it was my local penske rental place refused to rent to me after 6 yars of faithful rental from them.

and I ALWAYS returned my truck Clean, sometimes cleaner than when It left their lot...

I was told by the general mananger that last year they had SEVERAL trucks damaged, and downright destroyed, one truck was burned to the ground out there...

several more were painted and several were returned so dirty and badly damaged they haad to be removed from the fleet.....

SO..... now NO ONE can rent for THESE dates going in THAT direction.... They have a BLOCKOUT/BLACKOUT (whatever it was he called it) for those dates..

and I asked him what they would do if there were Penskes out there and he told me that the renters were going to be fined an extra amount on top of the rental fee, he didnt however tell me how much that would be..

He also told me that anyone of his agents found renting knowingly to someone going to burningman would be terminated from their
        position....

Whats sad to me is.... it seems that SOME people have forgotten that LEAVE NO TRACE Doesnt stop at the gate on your way out.. Its a YEAR ROUND Ideal and MAYBE some of those people NEED to be reminded.....

we rented for 6 years from penske... and are VERY sad that we dont have the transportation we need to get all our stuff out there...

and.. BTW.... Be VERY wary and careful about BUDGET.... we Attempted to rent from them... they took our deposit and when we returned 2 weeks later to pay it off and settle the reservation they CANCELED on us.. gave us our money back and said they wouldnt honor the contract.....

good luck in finding the Transports ya all need.. and IF anyone finds a place that isnt chargin a fortune let me know we would still like to find a cargo van/truck to get our art to the playa...

Thanks
        Bare

Sun, August 1, 2004 - 11:28 PM
          Why does a renter have to tell them at all where the truck is going? For all they know, they could be denying service to someone who really, coincidentally needs it during that time. Of course, I've only rented in-town so I don't have any experience with out-of-town rentals...

And what about U-Haul?

Mon, August 2, 2004 - 3:06 PM
            i'd think people would be a little more irked at their fellow burners who brought back trucks damaged and filthy, resulting in this penske corporate decision, than at the company who is simply trying to protect their assets.

when you rent a vehicle, the company is giving you an asset worth a lot of money to them -- they ask you to agree not to drive it off-road, and in some instances, not out of state. that seems pretty damned reasonable. i mean, should they have to say "please don't drive our vehicle into a lake or a mud flat or over a cliff or paint crap on it, or set it on fire"? and we have to admit, the playa is pretty rough on a car or truck.

after all, the reason lots of people rent vehicles is because they don't want to subject their own car (and major asset) to the harsh conditions out there. can't really blame rental companies for wanting to protect their vehicles.

though if it were my company, i'd be more likely to just put a huge cash deposit on the rental agreement -- like asking for a $1,500 cleaning deposit, the way you would with an apartment rental, so you have some financial recourse if someone doesn't bring it back clean. though that would penalize people who are just moving from one place to the next.

we do need to come up with a longterm solution for the community (since this problem isn't going to go away) -- like more cooperative transportation -- renting space in container trucks to go up, for instance -- set up at the bmorg parking lot or other regional spots, and let people drop off their crated materials... lots more planning but less ugly trucks on the playa and more control of our own resources.

Mon, August 2, 2004 - 3:32 PM
              Well said, leslie.

I'd like to know, however, how many trucks they got back that weren't burned out, sand-clogged, repainted, or otherwise messed up.

El Monte, which rents RVs, just charges you a ton of $ if you bring back one of their vehicles in bad condition. This seems much smarter.

Thu, August 5, 2004 - 1:19 AM
              Hrm, but don't renters put down a credit card which is also used as a de facto safety deposit? And doesn't the contract say as much (or at least it says you are responsible for any damage done to the vehicle)? And aren't all of these vehicles insured, both through the company and the individuals drivers? Not to mention the extra supplemental insurance that most renters purchase?

I have a hard time believing that they're losing *that* much money over this event.

Mon, July 31, 2006 - 9:49 AM
                A note about insurance. It doesn't cover you off road. All the rental companies have a clause that says that damage incurred to the vehicle from going off road is not covered. That doesn't mean that it's still not a good idea to get the supplemental, most of your drive will be on roads, but damage incurred at the event it's self is not covered.
            • Unsu...

Re: Penske renter ban!

Sun, July 30, 2006 - 11:38 AM
              "when you rent a vehicle, the company is giving you an asset worth a lot of money to them -- they ask you to agree not to drive it off-road, and in some instances, not out of state. that seems pretty damned reasonable. i mean, should they have to say "please don't drive our vehicle into a lake or a mud flat or over a cliff or paint crap on it, or set it on fire"? and we have to admit, the playa is pretty rough on a car or truck.

My thoughts exactly, Leslie.

I guess I am a little shocked at the disregard and disrespect shown towards property that belongs to other people/companies by some Burners. And now look what's happened... the whole community is being penalized, and that's just so f@cked up, but understandable. Taking even 5 - 10 perfectly good vehicles out of inventory totally negates any profit made off of the rentals of 100 vehicles for that same week, and Penske is within their rights not to want to continue to risk that each year. My friend and I rented a minivan to get all our gear out to the playa, but we're planning on laying down old sheets in the interior and getting the car detailed before we return it to the rental company. Doing so will probably run us an extra $100 for the detailing and extra day out, but there is no way in hell I am going to BM in my tiny, unairconditioned 92 Toyota Corolla!

Leave No Trace is something that should be practiced the OTHER 51 weeks out of the year as well.
        • Unsu...

Mon, July 31, 2006 - 5:03 PM
          "I was told by the general mananger that last year they had SEVERAL trucks damaged, and downright destroyed, one truck was burned to the ground out there..."

To my knowledge, NO rental trucks burned to the ground IN the city last year.

This [Insert major truck rental company name here] thing happens every year since at least 2000. Their headquarters sends them warnings not to rent to anyone going to the burn, or driving the same miles from the rental place as the burn, or for two weeks, etc.

It looks like it's tightened up this year though. In past there was always one of them that'd still rent to burners.

Thoughtless folks always screw it up for the rest of us. I bet you can think of at least three examples : ).

Sas

Mon, July 31, 2006 - 11:54 PM
            Sas, it wasn't last year, it was 2 or 3 years ago now.... the ban on Penske has only been in effect since 2003..... and they were really sorry to have to institute that ban.... but it was to save their fleet and have equipment on hand for other renters not taking it to the desert for a week or 2... it was a financial hardship on penske to have all their equipment tied up for that long and then returned in less that usuable condition....

Bare
            • Unsu...

Tue, August 1, 2006 - 3:45 PM
              With respect Bare I have read yearly of All of the various big name rental co's having bans on burners every year since 2000 including Penske, but I repeat myself.

Maybe your Penske didn't do it...what do I know but what I've read every year on EPlaya AND here.

Sas

Tue, August 1, 2006 - 3:52 PM
                Sasq, for us, the last time we rented from Penske was 2003....... they did try to get out of it in 2003, but the GM was nice enough, since we had been renting from them with no problems for 5 years to allow us to take it again in 03' but that was the last year they did it... in our area anyway....

we have seen penskes out there since then... but my bet is they didnt rent locally and they didnt say they were going to Burningman...

so.. just beware.....

Bare

Sun, August 1, 2004 - 11:25 PM
        I'd like to see the agents pay full price ($350 after the event starts) to get into the event every day - unless they actually send someone to stay there the whole week, and maybe then they'd "see the light" and not be jerks! Of course, one could always "disguise" the truck with complex knots (or even chains and padlocks) holding down tarps over the sides. I think they'd be hard pressed to justify to anyone nearby why they're messing with someone's truck. Burners can be notoriously belligerent when they see someone snooping where they shouldn't...

Not only that, but how could they possibly scout the *entire* event every hour, every day? People do come and go throughout the week.

Mon, August 2, 2004 - 6:31 AM
          "Not only that, but how could they possibly scout the *entire* event every hour, every day? People do come and go throughout the week."

Or they could just park a couple guys in shifts on 447. That's what I'd do.

Tim

Mon, August 2, 2004 - 8:07 AM
            or they can just check on Saturday afternoon. While there may be people who leave before Saturday, this would catch almost everyone. They don't actually have to catch absolutely everyone - or even follow through on their threat to check. They just need to threaten to check at the event for their policy to be effective.

Mon, August 2, 2004 - 7:23 PM
            "Or they could just park a couple guys in shifts on 447. That's what I'd do."

<grin> Maybe the "back route" we, er, accidentally took last year on some godforsaken unimproved road through Bat Country could come in useful after all... ;) We never even went through Gerlach until the trip home.

Seriously though, a business is a business, and if they really feel strongly enough to not rent to Burners, so be it. There's nothing we can do about it, and the companies that do rent to Burners will be the ones to profit. Chances are that they have just as many damaged trucks from non-Burners, only now they have a way to pin a selective class of people with their frustrations.

Mon, August 2, 2004 - 7:51 PM
              I would not be too hard on them. i don't think that they would stop renting to BM people out of some sense of vindictiveness.
              It's a buissiness and if they are losing money they stop renting. there must have been enough of a pattern that they sat up and took notice. I have rented cars in the past , I was curious and peeled back the rubber welting around the door and "behold alkali"!
              It really affects the value when they sell these things used the rust really sets in in the bay area where it is damp. I have had to replace the exhaust system on every vehicle I own that I have taken up there.

Wed, August 2, 2006 - 3:08 AM
          "I'd like to see the agents pay full price ($350 after the event starts) to get into the event every day - unless they actually send someone to stay there the whole week"

All they would have to do is show up on Thursday, pay the admission, and look around. Considering the high cost of the rental trucks, it's worth $350 to them to get their trucks back before anything bad happens to them.
      • Boycott Penske

Mon, August 2, 2004 - 9:39 AM
        This sucks, but I guess we only have ourselves to blame. Regardless, since they aren't interested in resolving this issue in an equitiable manner then I'm just going to refuse to do business with Penske period.

JR

Mon, August 2, 2004 - 12:39 AM
    This will cause a real shortage of rental trucks in the SF Bay Area. I bet every available truck has been rented for August 28th through September 7th!

Mon, August 2, 2004 - 12:48 AM
      well.. theres a NEW game now to play on the Playa.... IDENTIFY THE PENSKE REPS!!

I dont know where the alleged burned out truck happened... but I was TOLD It was on the playa, I was also told by the GM that they had to go a retrieve several abandoned Trucks after the event.... I asked him HOW that was possible and WHAT did the people do with ALL THEIR STUFF!

Some of the newer Penskes have that GPS thing on them and penske can tell exactly where their equipment is at all times... the older trucks dont have GPS.....

I dont know HOW they intend to enforce this.... I asked... He was actually quite nice and tried to explain their decision... I told him not once in 7 years have we had a problem and We ALWAYS cleaned the equipment better than we received it... and I even offered to put a special insurance Rider hru my insurance company so he didnt have to worry.. but to no avail..... they still said no...... So......

GOOD LUCK in finding adequate transport..... I KNOW we are in a world of hurt here.... my little malibu goes tomorrow morning to have a trailer hitch attached so it can tow a trailer and WE HOPE it will be large enough to get all our stuff out there..

IF ya find a Truck/Van place LIST IT PLEASE!!!!!!

Bare

Mon, August 2, 2004 - 1:21 AM
        Have you guys tried some of the small independent places that normally do commercial truck rentals? I remember moving apartments once, being really desperate for a truck, and finding out that Monarch in San Jose had plenty of trucks, the rates were reasonable, and it had a hydraulic lift! I think Monarch has locations in San Jose and somewhere in the east bay...

Mon, August 2, 2004 - 7:56 PM
          I used to rent from Monarch, DON'T tell them you are takeing it out of state. DO stop and power wash it in Reno
          before the dust has time to stick, underneath, and in the wheel wells ect....

Mon, August 2, 2004 - 9:31 AM
    Maybe, rather than hide Ryder, U-Haul, and Budget logos, everyone should be encouraged to make their vehicles look as much like Penske trucks as possible! Take a photo of a Penske truck of the same size, and paint a large sign of a similar design to hang on the side of your truck. Better yet, take a high resolution picture and have it printed out as a giant banner (okay, this one's expensive).

Mon, August 2, 2004 - 9:50 AM
      do you all actually think penske reps are going to be out at burningman? Come on really...

Would a company send an employee out to an event with food, water, and pay to look for vans? Does the companies medical cover a dome crushing them in the desert? Or a fireball catching them on fire? Would the employee freak out and take some drugs or sue their own company for sending them out there with those "freaks"? Just imagine the hay day the company would have if their employeed died out there. The media would go nuts.

I think the only thing that is going to happen is they will get there truck back and see that it has the signs of burningman on it and probably charge you more.

Do you think BRC is going to even let penske people into buringman?

This is clearly a fake or has some truth to it but has been blown way out of proportion.

I can rant abotu this for hours but I will end it here.

Mon, August 2, 2004 - 10:18 AM
    When I was calling around for truck quotes in May, the local Penske dealer asked what it was for and I told him it was for Burning Man.
    He said "When the time comes to actually place your reservation, don't tell us you need it for Burning Man. We've been given orders from corporate to never rent our trucks for Burning Man."
    So from my experience thus far, the blacklist deal is definitely not a rumour. The potential for confiscating their trucks may still be.
    If you doubt the motivation of the company to actually head in and confiscate trucks, consider there may be moral as well as fiscal factors involved. I wouldn't be the least surprised to find that a Penske CEO was good buddies with Pat Robertson.
    Which only leads me to once again wonder, how long until burner oriented businesses develop (rental for trucks, generators, storage, etc.)to fulfill the needs of BM participants.
    If a burner was to suddenly buy a fleet of trucks with the intention of offering honest, competetive service to a society he or she knows very well, would the ORG and BM society at large look down on them as 'profiteering' off the event? In this culture we are rightfully encouraged to support small businesses, but only those who are not a part of our subculture?
    I personally find the lines between "recognized" and "not-recognized" sourcing of BM oriented products and services to be increasingly grey.
    If Penske or any other mega-corp wants to deny us service for whatever reason, they reserve the right to do so. They should be allowed to suffer the consequence of prejudiced and poor decision making. We in turn, should be allowed and even encouraged to benefit from their mistakes.

Mon, August 2, 2004 - 10:24 AM
      Then burner were never much to help buissnesses that do support BM. Everytime I try to sell something I get a load of shit. I'm tried of the burner ethics brougtht back home then spent on Costco, or home depot. Support us, and we'll do the same for you.

www.blackrockhardware.com

Jon

Mon, August 2, 2004 - 10:50 AM
        Jon you make me laugh so hard...

Kinda like those little TROLL's with fuzzy hair. Kinda sad that you have a computer... It must take away from the time you spend cleaning your guns.

Jon's gonna have a truck soon and try to sell it to everyone... Triple Profit. Keep your eyes open for his post... It's coming soon. trust me.

Mon, August 2, 2004 - 11:20 AM
          I worked all fucking year to save my money to buy my own truck.
          I'm not sharing, and I have no room. If you get your sorry ass out there, and you need shade, come on by my camp, and bring something to trade, nothings free, even at BM.

PS how do you know about my hair?
          ppss I worked hard for my computer too!

Get a job

Jon

Mon, August 2, 2004 - 7:28 PM
        "Support us, and we'll do the same for you. "

with your nasty attitude? i'd rather burn my money than support anything you had a hand in. i've been reading your posts and you never have anything good to say about anything at all! just "grump, grump, grump". i prefer service with a smile.

Mon, August 2, 2004 - 7:32 PM
          jarjar speaks from true wisdom... thank you jarjar.

:)

Mon, August 2, 2004 - 8:01 PM
            Jon, I was considering buying a shade from you for my RV. But, Man, are you ever a sourpuss. You make me worry that it'd be a 'sourpuss' shade I'd buy from you.

Y'know, I'm pretty sure I won't encounter "sourpusses" at costco. Consider that this is why these types of businesses are excelling, while the smaller 'ma and pa' shops sometimes flounder. You've got to be a better representative for your business. What makes your business better than costco? If my shade from you breaks, can i get my money back? I can at costco.

The only possible advantage you may have as a retailer is your personalized 'customer service.'

So tell me how I might modify and attach one of your shades to sit on top of and cover my RENTAL rv.... (I can't modify or damage the RV) I'm ready to buy a couple of your shades. But wanna be sure they'll work. I'm not all that 'handy'.
            • Unsu...

Mon, August 2, 2004 - 8:55 PM

I'm sorry the Penske thing affects so many northern burners. Here in LA the movie rental folks at Avon are pleased as punch to rent 5 tons at bargain prices to all Burners, with cheery attitudes and "I should go some day" parting lines. Ours even came home damaged after a driver crunched a car at the water place in Reno, and they cheerfuly took our deductable and said no more. That sucks up there. Any movie crew rentals to get up there?

Tue, August 3, 2004 - 1:46 AM
                You make a good point. It seems businesses down there, or any real metropolis for that matter, are more equipped to deal with such things, even catastrophic mistakes. They've seen it all and don't take it personally it a truck is dirty or gets damaged.
                Now I myself am in no way guilty of this and I share the belief that everything should be returned in better-than-recieved condition. But in a place as small as Portland, if one bad apple fucks up, the entire network of all three rental truck companies will know almost overnight. Penske is one of those three.
                Some healthy competition would be a very welcome thing for sure.

Wed, August 4, 2004 - 7:45 PM
    I spoke with Ray at the Reno Penske office earlier today, he
    got an email this morning from his superiors stating that no
    rentals for Burners will be honored.

Wed, August 4, 2004 - 8:34 PM
      "I spoke with Ray at the Reno Penske office earlier today, he
      got an email this morning from his superiors stating that no
      rentals for Burners will be honored."

Seems like they would be better served to just go through with their rentals this year, and institute the policy next year. At least then they wouldn't be leaving folks with such a bad taste in their mouths when they find out their truck rentals have been axed less than a month before the event. I mean, Penske had a full year since the last Burn to figure this out.

Wed, August 4, 2004 - 10:49 PM
        Indigoa.... in fact they did begin this last year.... we nearly lost our rental last year and they did honor it.... it was definitely in the works already... but hadnt as yet come down from the GM until this year..... and most everyone found out when they went to rent not after the fact... least in our case.... we found out when we tried to rent....

Budget was the one that cancelled after we had paid them a deposit...

Bare

Thu, August 5, 2004 - 12:04 PM
          Of course, some of this might be a great excuse to hunt through your local classifieds and simply purchase a trailer for your vehicle. We were, in fact, surprised at how reasonable trailers were and have been able to use it very much after the event, as well as during. plus, we can paint what we want on it and no one gives a rat's ass.
      • Unsu...

Sun, July 30, 2006 - 11:47 AM
        I think the fair solution for this would be to charge a LARGE cash deposit, and to verify complete insurance coverage, in the event of some major damage to the rental. I mean, that is what insurance is for. And it seems like when you make people shell out a lot of cash, they tend to take better care of things to get that money back. I don't mean you, Bare, you've obviously been a good customer. But rather than punish a whole sector of potential renters, Penske and other companies would be better off to institute some monetary incentives to bringing their trucks back in good condition than cutting us all off.

For that matter, I can't imagine them sending out Reps to repossess all Penske vehicles on the playa... how many tow trucks would that require? How many BM tickets at $250 a piece would they have to buy to accomplish that? What if the trucks are parked in the midst of many other campers and cannot be easily accessed?

Sun, July 30, 2006 - 12:29 PM
          I know for fact you will see a "Few" Penske's, but I also would bet they did not tell the company they were bringing it to the playa,

the further from the playa you rent a penske.. the less likely they are to ask you if it's going there...

from what I was told, when I last inquired, No penskes will be rented from Local areas, like California, Nevada, for that weekend without explicit travel plans that do not include the reno/playa area... they have what they call a "black out/blocked dates for that time period

sucks it has come to that.. we loved our Penske home for the week....

also.. a lot of the newer penskes have the GPS systems.. and penske can tell if you have left the road with them....

rent carefully, if ya manage to pull it off and then ya return it and they find out.. you're in for a BIG deposit and fine....

Bare
  • Unsu...

Sun, July 30, 2006 - 10:48 AM
    bump for reminder

Sun, July 30, 2006 - 2:26 PM
      My question would be how a tow truck would get into Burning Man without a ticket, explaining to the front gate why they were bringing a tow truck in, to begin with. If the tickets at the gate begin at $300-350, do you really think a rental agency is going to pay someone that much money, plus gas, plus wages to go get a truck that "might" come back damaged- since they can only haul one at a time?

Yes- the rental agencies can tell you where not to take their vehicles. In fact, I think they can charge you after the fact if you incur some kind of damage, too. I have yet to see or hear about a company actually taking their rental back while we were all out on the playa.

Regardless of that point, however, people need to have some respect for the community in doing things that will "ban" everyone else from renting in the future. Take your damn rental truck to a car wash and have some respect. If you think you are "stickin' it to the Man" by being an irresponsible yahoo, you've misinterpreted which "Man" is getting bent over for your actions.

Sun, July 30, 2006 - 2:33 PM
        If you are in violation of the rental agreement (such as, lying about where you're taking it) , it's highly possible the vehicle is then technically stolen. In that case, they can rightfully enter the festival (free) and tow the vehicle.

I'd find another situation, if I were you. You still have a few weeks. & it would be a real drag to have to deal w/ something like that at the fest.
        • Unsu...

Mon, July 31, 2006 - 5:14 PM
          "If you are in violation of the rental agreement (such as, lying about where you're taking it) , it's highly possible the vehicle is then technically stolen. In that case, they can rightfully enter the festival (free) and tow the vehicle."

Not so. It's a simple tort on the part of the renter which in no way abrogates the rights of the LLC with regard to their properly permitted "closed" area.

It's not theft. It's a civil matter. The vehicle may be reposessed but whom-soever does it needs to be licensed to do so in NV and will have to either have bought a ticket or if it's after (is it?) Thursday they'll have to have snuck in. Where they could then "reposess" the vehicle without a tow truck by the clever use of......a key!

Personally, I'd like to catch a reposessor who snuck in : ).

I wonder....if there's more than a grain of truth to the repo rumour would enterprising repo men "pre-position" themselves in the city?

Repo camp?

Sas

Sun, July 30, 2006 - 2:39 PM
        as a mater of fact Jewel is correct, and IF they were made to pay the fees to enter and get their equipment back, it is quite possible it then would become part of YOUR extra Fees and Fines for taking the vehicle where it wasn't authorized to go....

Bare

Sun, July 30, 2006 - 5:00 PM
    Regardless of the legal and commercial issues mentioned here. This situation is a reminder of how we all depend on each other. It is a kind of a collective “community test”, the proverbial one bad apple in a barrel of good apples.

Responsible renters (like our very own Bare) have to bare the consequences of the actions of the non-responsible renters.
    The same applies to the problems Johnny On The Spot Co. have with trash that irresponsible burners dump in the porta potties.
    To concentrate on how one can “get away” with renting from Penske, or on the (rightful) indignation we feel when Penske decides ban BM business, is to overlook the fact that as a community we are not (in this case) getting a passing grade.
    The JOTS problem, the BLM MOOP inspection post BM, excessive violence and uncivilized behavior on the Playa, any of these can put BM (as we know it) out of business.

At the end of the event the Playa is littered with an unbelievable collection of abandoned objects, sofas, bicycles, trash, (nasty) failed evaporation ponds, and more.
    To an outside observer it makes no difference whose trash it is individually. It is (collectively) our trash. And yes, after BM 2005 I took out with me trash that was not “mine”.

We all enjoy and appreciate the BM community. Let’s do what it takes to preserve this value.
    We can do BM without Penske’s seal of approval, but we can’t do it without acting like the responsible community that we really are.

• Unsu...

Sun, July 30, 2006 - 8:15 PM
    This thread is two years old and still has relevance amazing....does anyone know if they did infact go on the playa in 04 and 05 and confiscate trucks?

Sun, July 30, 2006 - 8:46 PM
      It makes me very sad to think that Burners have abused someone else's property to this extent. I agreee that leave no trace is not something that should not only be practiced at BM. It should be a way of life. I just realized this thread has been going for 2 years...we rented from Penske in San Diego last year and had no problems, but I hope this makes people think about how they treat equipment that belongs to others. How would you like it if it were you're truck?

Sun, July 30, 2006 - 8:54 PM
        did you wash the truck beore returning it............if everybody cleaned the trucks befor returning them then BM would have a better reputation.

Truck rental companies in the bay area are aware of BM and what happens around the end of august.....The rental comapies in San diego might not be wise to it just yet...

Mon, July 31, 2006 - 4:22 PM
      Actually it goes back to 2003 when Budget and U-Hell cancelled a bunch
      of us including myself, Bare, LadyMerv and True.

Gypsy, well said! I just hope the yahoos get a clue before *all*
      rentals are banned.

Regarding cleaning, Videogasm cleans our rental 24' every year
      by using truck stops and their heavy duty facilities. After final load
      out at my place we brush and sweep out the bay and do a final
      wipe down of the cabin. Pain? Sure, but we have no other
      choice if we want to continue to provide a way for dozens of
      people to get their stuff out and back, not to mention our
      own Playa Theatre.
  • If I owned a truck rental company

Sun, July 30, 2006 - 8:25 PM
    If I owned a truck rental companyI might think twice about sending trucks to burningman..

Most trucks that goto BM are gonna come back trashed.

I am suprised this has not happened sooner

I have rented a few 24 footers in the past...We tried to clean em up a bit before returning them. But a trip to the desert is hard to hide.
    • Re: If I owned a truck rental company

Sun, July 30, 2006 - 8:33 PM
      Most rental companies will not allow "offroad driving" with a rental vehicle...read the contract...driving on the playa is offroad travel...

If you rent a truck and take it to bm you will be in breach of contract The rental company can collect cost of damages.....what damages you ask? It takes hours to get playa dust off of a car................now think how much of a pain in the ass it would be to clean out a 24 foot box truck...inside and out.....

Sun, July 30, 2006 - 9:35 PM
    When Battlebots was big some of the competitors got together and worked out a deal with Associated Global for shipping. This was several years ago so I don't know what kind of deal could be reached with them or another shipping company, but with the number of people hauling big stuff out there I'd imagine it wouldn't be hard to put something together.

The deal at the time was $.65/pound from anywhere in the lower 48, both ways. You packed your stuff up in a nice crate, they took it a couple of weeks before the event and dropped it off on Treasure Island where volunteers sorted them out. At the end of the week you put it all back in the crate (or what's left of it) and it gets shipped back to you.

The truckers would have to either drop it off on the playa or somewhere close to it.

I don't need anything hauled myself this year, but it seems like it's time for playa drop shipments to start happening.

Recent topics in "Burning Man"